Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Spoon Study"

Oil on Board. Approx 6"x4" SOLD

I did this little spoon study in my typical gray palette. I have received a few emails lately asking about how I achieve the grays that I do. Well, first I mix burnt sienna and ultramarine blue to get as close to black as I will go. Then I can add titanium white to get the grays. If I want a warmer gray I'll add more burnt sienna or maybe yellow ochre and if I want cooler grays, I'll add more ultramarine or maybe cerulean blue.

7 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You may use the same colors as the rest of us when you mix blacks and greys, but you do it masterfully!
Happy Thanksgiving, Michael!

Matt Dickson said...

yay spoon.

Maomie said...

Wow, looks like the original! Nice!

Anonymous said...

This might be a bit out of bounds but hey you never know till you ask. I'm currently studying for my BFA and I feel like I'm not learning the techniques as far as painting goes that I want to. Your paintings are wonderful and truly inspiring to me. So basically I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about your painting process etc? For example do you do pencil sketches for these our just go straight to the brush? I love your transitions in color you achieve I seem to end up with muddy colors I guess you would say. So if there is any tips or advice you could give me or teach me it would be much appreciated. I admire your talent.

Sanghi said...

Amazing and dazzling piece of works. Do check my sit at http://www.sanghi-artlife.blogspot.com and leave your comments.

Sanghi said...

I'v added you in my art bloggers list.. check out..
Enjoy blogging.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Beautiful study Michael and thanks a lot for sharing your palette mixes. That is so useful to know.